Friday, September 14, 2012

Corn Dogs



I love family movie night but with 2 active teenagers with busy schedules, family movie night doesn't happen very often.  We had a movie night planned for last month in spite of the fact that my son wouldn't be able to join us.  (It's possible that he chose to do something else since the movie was "The Lorax.")  I decided homemade corn dogs would be a perfect snack to eat while we watched the movie.  I found this recipe in a recent copy of Cook's Country magazine.  


Homemade Corn Dogs
1 1/2 corn meal
1 1/2 cups flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoon sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 3/4 cups buttermilk
4 eggs
8 hot dogs
Canola Oil






Whisk together corn meal, 1 cup flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt.













Whisk together buttermilk and eggs.













Add to dry ingredients.








Thread hot dogs onto skewers.


Place remaining flour in shallow plate.  Dredge hot dogs in flour.












Heat 1" of oil in skillet to 350.  Transfer batter to a tall glass.











Submerge hot dogs, one at a time, in batter.


Fry corn dogs 4-6 minutes, turning as necessary.


The corn dogs were a big hit.  I was really surprised that only 1 of the skewers broke from the weight of the corn dog. I still think I need to use bigger skewers next time.



If you ask me, the best part of a corn dog is the corn bread.  This corn breading was really good but not quite as sweet as the kind that you find at the fair.  Maybe it's my overactive sweet tooth talking but I think I might add just a little bit more sugar to the batter next time I make these.  

 


I don't think I need quite as much batter either - because I had a LOT leftover.  

I really should have poured the leftover batter into a baking dish and baked it as corn bread but I didn't think about that until it was too late - next time.




Ciao!




Homemade Corn Dogs
1 1/2 corn meal
1 1/2 cups flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoon sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 3/4 cups buttermilk
4 eggs
8 hot dogs
Canola Oil

Whisk together corn meal, 1 cup flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt.  Whisk together buttermilk and eggs.  Add to dry ingredients.   Place remaining flour in shallow plate.  Thread hot dogs onto skewers and dredge in flour.  Heat 1" of oil in skillet to 350.  Transfer batter to a tall glass.  Submerge hot dogs, one at a time, in batter and then place in hot oil. Fry corn dogs 4-6 minutes, turning as necessary.  Drain on paper towels. 

4 comments:

  1. I also enjoyed making these today - the dough was so fluffy just had a lovely texture, crackly and soft at the same time. What I did with the extra dough was drop it by tablespoonfuls into the hot oil and fry them up like hushpuppies. They were almost more addictive than the corn dogs. I love cook's country :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad that you liked the recipe. Thanks for stopping by the blog.

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for such an informative piece of information :)
    If anyone interested similar one's have a look here
    petreviewz blog

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete