Monday, September 3, 2012

Jello Parfaits


One more member of the Davis family apprehensively entered the world of braces last month.  This is her before and after picture on the fateful day that she got her braces.  (She was less than excited - can you tell?)


Her mouth was pretty sore for a couple days so her diet consisted mostly of mashed potatoes and applesauce.  I wanted to make her a special treat to help ease the pain so I whipped up some jello parfaits.   I made the parfaits in two different forms: magic mousse and a traditional jello and cool whip layered parfait.









I made both kinds of parfaits out of one 3 ounce box of strawberry jello.


Directions:
Add 1 1/2 cups of water to a 3 ounce box of strawberry gelatin.  Stir until dissolved.








Pour half of the jello into small containers and refrigerate.  I used empty votive candle jars - they were the perfect size for my mini cool whip parfaits.  


 











After the jello sets, top with whipped cream and a fresh strawberry.











 Scoop 1/2 cup of cool whip into remaining gelatin while it is still warm.








 Whisk until smooth.





Pour mixture into parfait glasses and refrigerate.  (Kids I love to watch as the jello separates.)


There you have it - 2 simple, soft and braces-friendly desserts.  



I'm happy to report that the soreness of the braces has subsided and she is getting used to eating more substantial food.  That won't stop us from eating parfaits but now we can enjoy them with a sandwich. 

 Ciao!

2 comments:

  1. Perfect recipe for us this week as Charlotte gets her tonsils out on Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll keep Charlotte in my prayers on Thursday. Hope she likes the jello.

    ReplyDelete