Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Zucchini Chips

Guess what we harvested out of the garden last weekend? 

CARROTS!


After a lot of pleading from my daughter, I hesitantly agreed to plant carrots seeds alongside our watermelon seeds last spring.  I never really believed that we would be able to grow carrots.  I guess I should have had more confidence.

We dug the carrots up on Sunday afternoon to see if they were ready for harvest and much to my surprise - we had grown carrots.



We brought our newly picked carrots inside (along with a few stray caterpillars) and washed and peeled the vegetables.







Once the carrots were peeled, there was only one thing left to do - eat!

What a great snack.
 If carrots aren't your cup of tea - maybe these zucchini chips will peak your interest in vegetables.
 

Before I tell you what I made - I want to let you know that I haven't lost my mind and gone completely crazy.  I did however, make a batch of zucchini chips recently as a healthy snack.  They were really yummy - warm and crispy out of the oven.  Not quite as palatable once they started to absorb moisture and take on a slightly chewy consistency.  The bottom line is this - plan to make these zucchini chips just before you want to eat them.  (By the way, they take 3 hours to bake so you need to plan 3 hours ahead.)  Ok so maybe I am crazy but these really are good warm.  Put them in the oven right after lunch and they will be ready for mid-afternoon snack. 

Zucchini Chips
1 zucchini
2 Tablespoon olive oil
salt


Preheat oven to 225.  Line 2 baking sheets with silpat sheets.  Slice zucchini on a mandolin.  Place the slices on a sheet of paper towel.
 
 





Take another paper towel and lay it on top of the zucchini.  Sandwich the slices between cookie sheets and press on them to draw out the moisture.













Line the zucchini up on the silpat mats being careful not to overlap them.  Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.






Bake 3 hours.


Enjoy these crispy little treats warm out of the oven. 







I tried packaging my veggie chips in plastic baggies to keep them fresh.















I also tried air tight Tupperware containers. 







Neither one kept the chips from absorbing moisture.  I ate a few the following day but after that, they were really too chewy to eat.  If you have made these before and you know how to keep them crispy, I would love to know your secret. 

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment