Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Turkey, Apple and Swiss Sandwich


Soccer games and Cross Country meets are going to occupy most of our weekends this month.   I love being a spectator at outdoor sports.  I would much rather be outside enjoying the fresh air rather than being stuck inside a smelly gym.  (I hope that my fellow wrestling fans are not offended.)  It's not that I am opposed to indoor sports, I would just rather be outside.  Snacking on a picnic lunch while cheering for my daughter's soccer team on a Saturday afternoon is a great way to spend a weekend. 

We all love turkey sandwiches but I get tired of making the same old sandwich so I decided to mix things up and put a new twist on the traditional turkey sandwich.  I made turkey, apple and Swiss melts.  We all like turkey and apples and Swiss cheese - what could go wrong? 


To make these sandwiches, start with a loaf of whole grain bread. 










Add some thin slices of apple.  (I used a mandolin to cut my apples into really thin slices.)













Add low-sodium turkey and reduced fat Swiss cheese. 



Of course, everything tastes better while I'm watching my favorite soccer player.


Turns out, the kids really don't like apple slices on their sandwich. I thought they were delicious but my teenagers didn't share my enthusiasm.  I liked the sweet crunch of the apple paired with the saltiness of the cheese but the kids pulled their apples slices out of the sandwich almost immediately.  Oh well, back to plain turkey sandwiches for them.  

Do you have a good picnic sandwich recipe?  If so, I would love for you to share it with me.



Ciao!

1 comment:

  1. Nice recipe. Unfortunately, I'm cooking bad :(.
    But my friend recommended me a site funny cooking book
    I always check out this website before making food.
    Sorry for my English. It's my third language.
    http://www.funnycookingbook.com

    ReplyDelete