Friday, September 28, 2012

"Fried" Pies



Every year we make a trip up to Ellijay, Georgia to pick apples at BJ Reese's apple orchard.  We love the apples and the kids love goodies that you can buy at the orchard store.  One of their favorite treats is the fried apple pie.  Delicious fruit filling stuffed inside a flaky pastry dough that is deep fried to crispy perfection.


This picture of my kids eating fried pies at the apple orchard was taken in 2008.  (Wow - they grow up way too fast.)  I don't like to eat fried food very often but I will admit to sampling these little deep fried delicacies.  They are super delicious.

I saw a recipe for "fried' pies in the May issue of Cooking Light and they looked ALMOST as good as the fried pies that we get up in Ellijay.  I made a peach filling for my pies because we haven't been to the orchard to pick our apples this year.



Peach "Fried" Pie
pie crust
peach pie filling 
1 egg
1 Tablespoon milk
raw sugar

Prepare pie crust and filling as directed.  Roll pie crust to a think layer and cut it into circles.  (We used a Tupperware lid to make our circles.)



 Place the circles on a silpat lined baking sheet.


Top with a spoonful of peach filling.













Fold circle in half and seal edges with a fork.


Combine egg and milk and beat until frothy.  Brush over pastry.  Sprinkle with sugar.







Cut slits in the top.  (I forgot to do this to my first batch of pies and some of them cracked in the oven.)







Bake 18 minutes at 425.



I served these little pies with a scoop of homemade vanilla ice cream - delicious.  The best part is that you can wrap any extras in foil, throw them in the freezer and save them for another day.  Chances are that you won't have any leftovers though.

Ciao!


No comments:

Post a Comment