Monday, September 24, 2012

Pork Skewers

I hope that you all had a great weekend.  My sweet thirteen year old daughter and I got to spend lots of "girl time" together this weekend.  It was fabulous - nail salons and movies and doughnuts and shopping and frozen yogurt - what more could a girl ask for?  I also got to watch my favorite soccer team take the field for a game on Saturday afternoon.  Even though they lost the game, it was an absolutely perfect day for a soccer game.


"Girl weekend" also meant that there wasn't a lot of cooking going on in this house.  (We pretty much survived on pizza and sushi and chocolate.)  Since I wasn't doing my normal blogging over the weekend, I pulled out a recipe from several weeks ago to share on today's blog.  It is a great recipe - I just never got around to posting it.  Better late than never.


I've said it before and I'll say it again - everything tastes better on a stick.  I use this spice rub all the time on all kinds of meats - chicken, pork and beef.  It's super quick to put together and everyone really seems to like it.
 
To be honest, I didn't make pork skewers because everyone likes them better than traditional pork roast, it was because I ran out of time to cook a whole roast.  By slicing the meat into thin strips, it cooks much quicker on the grill and I can have dinner on the table sooner.  Quicker dinner = happier family = happy momma.

Spice Rubbed Pork Tenderloin Skewers
1 Tablespoon sugar                        ¼ teaspoon mustard powder
1 Tablespoon chili powder            ¼ teaspoon thyme
2 teaspoons salt                              2 pounds pork tenderloin

Cut pork into thin strips and thread onto skewers.

 
Combine rub ingredients and rub on tenderloin.


 Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes to 24 hours.  Cook on the grill for 10 minutes on each side.


I served my pork skewers with crispy smashed potatoes and homemade applesauce.  It was a big hit.



This is also a great meal to share with friends.   If you're taking someone a meal and can't quite decide what to make for them - this is a great meal that kids and adults will enjoy.  Skip the traditional lasagna and chicken casseroles and make some spice rubbed pork skewers.  I packed half of the skewers in a foil tray and took them to a friend. 



Ciao!


Spice Rubbed Pork Tenderloin Skewers
1 Tablespoon sugar                        ¼ teaspoon mustard powder
1 Tablespoon chili powder            ¼ teaspoon thyme
2 teaspoons salt                              2 pounds pork tenderloin, cut into strips

Combine rub ingredients and rub on tenderloin.  Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes to 24 hours.  Cook on the grill for 10 minutes on each side.

No comments:

Post a Comment