Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Apple Pancake

It's so exciting to watch my kids develop new talents and skills.  My daughter is starting to hang around the kitchen more now than she ever has before.  She's very curious about the things I make and she's usually willing to help when I need an assistant.  


She's also started to use my camera more often.  She is responsible for most of the pictures of me in the blog.  Her photography skills are exceptional. (Maybe she'll be able to teach me a few things about my camera.)  Last week she snapped this picture of Mia last week carrying her "blankie" around the house.  Yes - she's an 85 pound dog with a favorite "blankie". 

My daughter helped me arrange all of the apples in the Dutch Apple Pancake that we had for dinner a couple of weeks ago.  I totally enjoy her company when I'm in the kitchen - and her help.


We are still eating up the apples from our trip to the apple orchard last month.  I love these apples so much that I use them sparingly so that none are wasted.  The apples definitely added something special to this pancake.  I made a similar pancake with strawberries several months ago. 

Dutch Apple Pancake
¼ cup brown sugar                          2 Tablespoons butter
¼ teaspoon cinnamon                     ½ cup Bisquick
2 apples, sliced and peeled              2 eggs
1/3 cup water

Mix brown sugar and cinnamon.  Add apples and toss to coat.

  
Heat water and butter to boiling.  


Reduce heat and add bisquick.  Stir until mixture forms a ball.


Remove from heat and beat in eggs, one at a time.  Beat until smooth.

 
Spread batter into a greased pie plate.   Arrange apples on top. 


Bake 23 minutes at 400.

The smell of warm apples and cinnamon filled the house while this delicious dinner baked in the oven.  My family gobbled up the whole pancake for dinner.  The cinnamon sugar from the apples makes a nice syrup for the pancake but my son added a little extra syrup to his piece.  This was a great breakfast for dinner meal on a cool Fall evening.  There's something special about bringing my family together over a warm meal. 


Bon Appetit!


No comments:

Post a Comment