Saturday, November 19, 2011

Friday night date night

I got to go on a date with the cutest in town last night.  I love date night.


Ben and I went out to dinner so I took a little break from cooking last night.   Ben even took a picture of our dessert - brownie sundae.


Thursday night I made Mushroom Rolled Chicken.  My original recipe was for mushroom stuffed chicken but I accidentally bought thin sliced chicken breasts at the grocery store this week.  When I opened the packaged and realized that there was absolutely no way that I could possibly stuff these thin chicken cutlets, I decided to roll the filling inside them instead.  They turned out just as good.


Mushroom Rolled Chicken
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs                       3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup chopped green onions                    1/2 teaspoon pepper
8 ounces mushrooms                                    4 boneless chicken breasts
1/2 teaspoon thyme                                       1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese                             1 egg, beaten
1 Tablespoon butter






Saute mushrooms and onions in 1 T. butter for 5 minutes. 











Stir in garlic and thyme.











Cool and stir in cheese, salt and pepper.











Flatten each chicken breast.  (I use a cast iron skillet to get my chicken nice and thin.)










Spoon 2 Tablespoons of mushroom filling on each breast.













Roll up each chicken breast.















Pour flour into 1 bowl, panko bread crumbs in another and the egg in a third.












Sprinkle each breast with remaining salt and pepper.  Dredge chicken in flour.













Dip in egg.










Roll in panko.







Transfer all chicken breasts to a baking dish.


Bake 30 minutes at 350.



You can serve the chicken rolled or sliced into thin rounds.  Either way - it makes a beautiful presentation.  
Both kids unrolled their chicken and scraped out the mushrooms but that didn't stop them from eating it.  It was delicious with and without the mushrooms.  

By the way - thank you to my sweet daughter who helped me prepare and photograph this meal. 

Bon Appetit!




No comments:

Post a Comment