Thursday, November 10, 2011

Change of Plans


I headed to the grocery store on Monday with my weeks worth of menu's in hand as usual.  I had done my best to plan out each and every meal that we would be eating and I even made a detailed list of groceries that I needed to buy in order to make all of those meals.  Sometimes even though I'm armed with good intentions and thorough plans I end up getting blindsided at the supermarket.  I have learned that preparation can only take me so far, I am still at the mercy of the grocery store.  This was one of those weeks where it seemed like everything that was on my list was NOT on the supermarket shelves.  I had to do some last minute substitutions when I got to the grocery store and realized that they were out of most of the ingredients that were on my list.  I also swap out meats or produce when the grocery store is running a sale and sometimes I buy things on sale and freeze them for another week's menu.  Usually this works out for the best anyway and my revised menu often turns out even better than the original.

One of the things that I was looking for was chicken with ribs and there was none to be found but the store did have turkey legs that looked really good.  I had planned to make Sticky Grilled Chicken so I decided to try the recipe with the turkey legs instead of chicken.

Sticky Grilled Chicken Turkey Legs
¼ cup ketchup                         ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
¼ cup marmalade                    ½ teaspoon chili powder
½ clove garlic                          ¼ teaspoon dry mustard
1 Tablespoon vinegar              turkey legs





 Combine ingredients in saucepan.













Bring sauce to a boil and simmer 5 minutes.











Grill turkey legs on the Big Green Egg for 30 minutes.











Brush with marinade and grill 30 minutes longer.






The turkey legs were REALLY good.  I liked the sauce even better on the turkey legs than I do on chicken.  I love when last minute substitutions turn out for the better. 


Everyone picked their up turkey leg and ate it with their hands.  We were all pretty messy by the end of dinner but it was so worth it.  The sauce on these turkey legs was really tasty.  I highly recommend Sticky Grilled Turkey Legs for anyone who might be wandering through the grocery store in search of dinner inspiration. 

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment