Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Street Sweeper

The kids had a great time trick or treating in their costumes last night. 
The morph suit was a big hit.

Even I pulled together a last minute costume for myself yesterday.  I had to pick up a shirt and a hat for my daughter so I decided to get one for myself as well.  (I think she might be taller than me in this picture.  When did that happen?)


One of our neighbors invited us to their house for hamburgers and hot dogs before the trick or treating.   Everyone that came brought side dishes to go along with the meat.   My contribution to the party was homemade hummus with pita chips...


and homemade hummus and carrots.


Hummus is fairly simple to make because it doesn't have many ingredients.  It's a great way to get more protein in your diet too.


Hummus
I can chick peas
1 clove garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tub tahini sauce from Trader Joe's
1 Tablespoon sugar






Drain and rinse chick peas.  Process chick peas, garlic and salt in food processor.  Add tahini sauce and sugar and process until smooth.  


I've made a lot of hummus recipes in the past and I have had a hard time getting them creamy enough.  This recipe is super easy and the Tahini sauce from Trader Joe's already has the lemon juice, oil and water included.  It makes this hummus even easier than most. 


My choice of pita chips are the cinnamon sugar from Trader Joe's and the reduced guilt multigrain Pita chips - also from Trader Joe's.


I also took a few chocolate cupcakes that I rolled in toffee bits and frosted with marshmallow meringue.  We gave away plenty of candy to some hungry trick or treaters last night and had a lot of fun in the process.

Mia and I are heading out for our usual walk around the neighborhood this morning.  Today is Mia's very favorite day of the year.  She acts like a big vacuum cleaner sucking up all of the candy that was dropped into the streets by careless trick or treaters.  She actually does a pretty good job of cleaning up - I like to think of it as her contribution to the neighborhood.

Bon Appetit!



8 comments: