Saturday, November 12, 2011

Satisfying Salad






My daughter and I went to see the play Cinderella last night with our friends Julie and Taylor.  We had planned to leave early enough to stop for dinner on our way to the play but unfortunately, the Atlanta traffic interfered with our plans.  We got to the theater with just enough to grab a quick snack and then take our seats.








I really enjoyed the play.  By the time it was over though, we were all starving so we went looking for a restaurant for a late night dinner.  In an unfamiliar part of town, this proved to be a challenging task.   We ended up at Chick Fil A which was not what we had planned but it was a quick option for four hungry girls.





For dessert, we had double chocolate malted milk balls that Julie brought along for the trip.  Yum.





I am so blessed to have such good friends in my life.   It turned out to be a very late night -  but it was well worth it. 





Since we were planning on going out to a nice dinner, I wanted to eat a light lunch.  One of my favorite "light" and easy lunches is shrimp Cobb salad.  It is really satisfying and super delicious.


Shrimp Cobb Salad
Salad                                               Vinaigrette
½ pound shrimp, cooked            1/4 cup oil
4 slices turkey bacon                    zest of 1 lime
3 cups salad greens                      3 Tablespoons lime juice
3 Tablespoons mint                      1 Tablespoon brown sugar
3 Tablespoons basil                      ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoons paprika
1/2 avocado, sliced

Cook bacon in skillet.  Wipe clean and add shrimp and toss with paprika.  Cook 2 min. on each side.  Put lettuce in bowl.  Top with bacon, avocado, mint, basil and cooked shrimp.






Combine vinaigrette ingredients and dress salad. 

This recipe makes 4 large servings of Cobb salad.  I love the bright flavors from the fresh mint and fresh basil.  Adding turkey bacon and shrimp makes it seem more like a meal and less like a side dish.  I made a really big plate of this salad and it filled me up and kept me full for a long time.  


Bon Appetit!


No comments:

Post a Comment