Friday, November 25, 2011

Thanksgiving on the go

I hope that you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving.  My Thanksgiving was somewhat unusual but it was still wonderful.  I had planned to prepare Thanksgiving dinner for my family and my in-laws at my house but late Monday night Ben and I decided that it would be better if I prepared the meal at home but drove to my in-laws house to eat.  I wasn't really sure how I was going to transport the entire dinner and Mia (my beloved 85 pound Weimeriner) an hour and a half across town - but I was up for the challenge.

 
I spent Saturday cheering my son on at a wrestling tournament so I was glad that I had done a lot of the prep work ahead of time.   Wednesday night I put the turkey in an apple cider brine solution so that it could absorb all those delicious flavors overnight.  I also started to get the food ready for transport.  I stored most of the food in glass pyrex dishes with plastic lids.  I love these dishes because I can put them right in the oven when we arrive at our destination. 


I cooked my turkey on the Big Green Egg just as I had planned and while the turkey cooked I packed up the rest of the meal for the journey.  I was looking forward to showing up at my in-laws house with a Thanksgiving dinner that is ready to heat and eat.



I also brought along a few appetizers for us to snack on while we make the drive to my in-laws house.  I knew that smelling the fabulous aroma of the smoked turkey was bound to make us hungry. 
I packed some cheese and crackers,



grapes and apple slices,



and some vegetables and dip.  (Well fed travelers are happy travelers.)


The dinner made the trip even better than I expected.


We had a wonderful Thanksgiving meal and we all ate REALLY well.


Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment