Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Simply Wonderful

I've been suffering from a severe lack of motivation to workout lately.  From what I've read, it seems to be fairly common for people who workout regularly to fall into a workout rut.  I decided that I needed to find something to inspire me to continue my morning workouts.  
The first thing I did was to hang icicle lights in my workout room.  I usually don't put Christmas lights up in November but I quite like the festive atmosphere that it has brought to my workout space.  Ninety minutes of P90X yoga is a whole different experience under the twinkling lights.
I also ordered a new pair of workout shoes.  My feet were really starting to feel the effects of the concrete floor that I workout on every day which may have contributed to my lack of motivation.  I'm hoping that my new shoes will give me a little more cushioning and support from the hard surface.  I love saucony shoes.


Armed with my newly "blinged" out workout space and an awesome new pair of workout shoes, I'm ready to tackle my workout schedule with renewed energy.  I can come up with hundreds of excuses NOT to workout everyday but I needed to find the one reason that I SHOULD workout.  My reason:
Because I Can.  I know what it's like to not be able to workout or even walk without crutches so I am learning to appreciate each and every day that I am able to get up and exercise and to not take that for granted.   Even when it's hard to get myself motivated to workout, I'm going to remind myself of how it felt when I couldn't exercise.   I might just have to write my new motto on the wall of my workout room:  I workout ... because I can.  


One of the great side effects of working out is that it inspires me to eat healthier meals.  I made Honey Bourbon Salmon for dinner this week - it's not elaborate or complex - just basic and delicious.  I created this recipe several years ago and I have been perfecting it ever since.  There are really only 2 instructions to make this fish - marinate and grill.  It doesn't get much easier than that.


For the marinade I combined:
1/4 cup bourbon
1/4 cup water
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
Juice from 1 lime
Salt and Pepper

I marinated the salmon filets for about 30 minutes.
I put the filets on the Big Green Egg at about 375 and cooked them for 5 minutes on each side.

 
There is something wonderful about a simple dinner without any fancy ingredients or fussy preparations.  I love to make new and interesting dinners with lots of unusual ingredients and challenging cooking techniques but I also love the simplicity of an uncomplicated meal every once in a while.  

Here's to remembering that each and every step that I take is a blessing.
Bon Appetit!





No comments:

Post a Comment