Thursday, September 29, 2011

Apple Season

 
Mia and I took our long walk in the park yesterday.  On the way home we stopped by a favorite little produce stand, and checked out their selection of apples.  



 The Mitsu apples from the Georgia mountains were HUGE!  They definitely gave me a craving for really fresh, crisp apples.  So - I ate one on the way home. 
I must be in the mood for apples because on Tuesday night, I baked a batch of apple cinnamon muffins from my 2011 Taste of Home Fall Baking magazine.  They were really good.
Cinnamon Apple Muffins
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
3 Tablespoon unsweetened applesauce
1 medium apple, peeled and grated

Topping:
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 Tablespoon flour
2 Tablespoons butter
1/2 cup oats 



Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large bowl.  In another bowl, stir together egg, milk, oil and applesauce.  Stir into dry ingredients.  Fold in apple.  Fill muffin cups 1/2 full. 




In a small bowl, combine topping ingredients with a pastry cutter until crumbly.  Sprinkle over batter.  Bake muffins 18 minutes at 350. 





Half of the muffins were eaten warm out of the oven and we ate a few more this morning.  Luckily there were a few left over for me to have with my lunch yesterday.  I liked them even better the next day.   The flowers were from Ben - aren't they pretty.  They make me smile every time I walk past them. 
Bon Appetit!


1 comment:

  1. I forgot to add the oil to the ingredient list in this recipe. You will need to add 3 Tablespoons of oil to the wet ingredients. I also found that the muffins come out better when you squeeze the moisture from the apples in a paper towel before you add them to the batter.

    ReplyDelete