Tuesday, September 13, 2011

"Lettuce" eat chicken


I am a big fan of PF Chang's lettuce wraps.   I came up with a homemade version of lettuce wraps that that are a little healthier than the restaurant original - but they don't taste nearly as good.  When I found this recipe for Chicken Lettuce Wraps in the September issue of Cooking Light magazine, I had to try it.  The ingredient list - artichokes, olives and tomatoes - sold.  

I made a few substitutions in the recipe.  I swapped black olives for green olives (personal preference) and vidalia onion for a red onion.  (Quite simply, I didn't have a red onion.)  The Cooking Light recipe also calls for fresh mozzarella cheese and I chose not to include that in my version.  I also added sliced avocado. 

Chicken Lettuce Wraps
1 pound ground chicken
1 cup thinly sliced vidalia onion
1/2 cup artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
1/4 cup tomato, diced
1 Tablespoon fresh oregano
1 Tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
1/4 cup sliced black olives
1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Butter lettuce leaves
Cook chicken in skillet until no longer pink.  Stir in onion, artichokes, tomato, oregano, parsley. olives and lemon juice.  Stir until heated through. 

To serve, I put a bowl of lettuce leaves on the table,
alongside the chicken mixture.  
Put them together and voila - lettuce wraps.  

I really didn't know what reaction to expect from my family when I served them lettuce wraps but they really liked them.  My kids and my husband each ate at least 2 wraps a piece.  The lettuce leaves proved to be a frustration for my hungry teenagers who opted for the salad version after their first wrap.  All in all, they were a hit and I will definitely make them again.

Bon Appetit!



No comments:

Post a Comment