Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Grilled Pork Chops



I've been taking advantage of the beautiful Georgia weather and firing up my Big Green Egg quite a bit lately.  Some days, I get so busy in the kitchen that I don't take the time to go outside.  Grilling is a great excuse for me to spend some time outside and enjoy the weather. 


Did I mention that I like cloud watching too?
I cooked some pork chops on the grill last week using a technique from Cook's Illustrated magazine.  The recipe was called "Really Good Grill-Smoked Pork Chops".

Grilled Pork Chops
2 bone in rib-loin pork chops (1 1/2 inch thick)
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon black pepper

Sauce
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup molasses
2 Tablespoons grated onion
2 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 Tablespoons cider vinegar
1 Tablespoon brown sugar

Combine all the sauce ingredients in a saucepan and cook until it reaches a ketchuplike consistency and reduced to 1 cup.  Transfer 1/2 cup sauce to small bowl and set aside for serving.
Pat chops dry with paper towel and cut 2 slits about 1 inch apart through outer layer of fat.  Sprinkle surface of each chop with salt and pepper.




Pass 2 skewers through loin muscle of each chop, about 1 inch form each end.  Place skewered chops, bone side down, on grill.   Cook until meat registers 120 degrees.  (about 30 minutes)








Remove skewers from chops and lay on grill surface.  Brush with sauce and turn so they are sauce side down.  Grill 2-4 minutes.  Repeat on second side. 





Cook until thermometer reads 140-145 in the center of each chop.  Remove from grill and allow to rest for 5 minutes.  Serve with reserved sauce.

The pork chops in the grocery store were so nice and thick that I only bought 2 for the 4 of us to share.  I didn't think there was any way that one person could finish one of these huge chops by themselves - I was wrong.  There was not a scrap of pork left of the table when the meal was over.  We all enjoyed these pork chops and next time - I'll make more. 

Bon Appetit!



No comments:

Post a Comment