Monday, September 26, 2011

Lighten up


Most of the time, my family eats really healthy meals.  However, there are a few favorites that are not so healthy that I throw in from time to time just because we love them.  Sometimes I have my doubts when it comes to making a "light" version of a favorite rich and creamy dish.  I don't want to sacrifice taste for fewer calories.  In most cases, I would rather eat a smaller portion of a delicious full fat dish than eat a lesser quality meal to save a few calories.  Cooking Light magazine last month published this Shrimp Fettuccine Alfredo recipe that peaked my interest.  I was hesitant but still curious enough to want to try it.  Fettuccine Alfredo is one of our all time favorite dinners. 

Shrimp Fettuccine Alfredo
9 ounces refrigerated fettuccine
1 pound peeled and deviened medium shrimp
2 green onions, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/3 cup half and half
3 Tablespoons 1/3 less-fat cream cheese
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 Tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped

Cook pasta according to package directions.  Drain, reserving 1/4 cup cooking liquid.  Heat oil in skillet over medium heat.  Add shrimp, onions and garlic.  Sauté 4 minutes or until shrimp are done.  Remove shrimp from pan.   Add reserved liquid to empty skillet along with cheese, half and half, cream cheese and pepper.  Cook 2 minutes.  Combine pasta, cheese mixture and shrimp.  Sprinkle with parsley.

According to Cooking Light each serving has 441 calories, 14.3 grams of fat and 37.4 grams of protein.  

I'm not really sure how many calories are in my regular alfredo sauce but if this is the light version, I don't think I want to know.   Everyone really liked it and my family didn't even notice that it was a lighter version.  In this case, lower fat and fewer calories didn't mean sacrificing taste.  This recipe went into my recipe binder as one to make again and again.  

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment