Saturday, September 10, 2011

A little nutty


I was browsing through the selection of magazines this week in the waiting room at the doctor's office. I must have been feeling nostalgic, because I picked up a Family Fun magazine and started to leaf through it.  When my kids were younger, I was a subscriber to Family Fun and even a contributor on occasion.   It's a great resource for kid friendly foods and activities.  (Check out their website too - www.familyfun.go.com.) 

As I patiently waited for my turn to see the doctor, I read through a couple of the articles and then skipped to the food section.  I found this idea for acorns and I just knew that I had to try it.  On the way home, I stopped and bought the supplies: Hersey's kisses, mini vanilla wafers and pretzel sticks.  

My daughter took on the project of making these cute little acorns.  Anything that involves chocolate - she's in.  (That's my girl.)  She melted a few chocolate chips to use as the glue to hold everything together.  (The magazine suggests frosting.)  The acorns were really simple to put together - Attach the vanilla wafer to the kiss with melted chocolate and the pretzel to the vanilla wafer with chocolate.  
 
They were a big hit.

Just an update on the race this morning:  My son ran his 5K in 22 minutes flat.  I'm so proud of him.
Have a great Saturday.

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment