Monday, September 5, 2011

Movie Night Snack Mix


The rain started to move in last night so we decided to stay home and have family movie night.  I took my daughter to Wal Mart to choose a movie from the Redbox and she convinced me that we needed to pick up some movie night snacks while we were there.  In typical teenager fashion, she suggested gummy worms and candy corn.  The only way that I could possibly imagine combining those two flavors was in some sort of trail mix.  We picked up some cereal, pretzels and yogurt covered raisins along with our gummy worms and candy corn and headed home.  

I still wasn't completely sold on the idea of a gummy worm, candy corn trail mix so I suggested that we have a "make your own" trail mix night.  We put our snacks in small bowls and then added a few goodies that we pulled out of the pantry.  (A great way to use up the last little bits of cereal and crackers from the pantry. )


Pumpkin seeds                                                             Peanuts                                                     Almonds                                                                        Goldfish 
Candy Corn                                                                   Mini saltine crackers
Pretzel rings                                                                  Pretzel sticks
Cinnamon Cheerios                                                    Gummy worms
Yogurt covered raisins                                                Mini club crackers

I found some leftover orange paper and rolled them into cones to use as our trail mix holders.  I secured them with a piece of tape at the bottom of the cone to hold it together.


Before we started the movie, we took turns creating our own unique mix of goodies.  


My daughter's trail mix: mini saltines, cinnamon Cheerios, pretzel rings, candy corn and gummy worms.


My son's trial mix: yogurt covered raisins, gummy worms and candy corn.


My trail mix is pictured at the top of the blog.  (Pretzel rings, yogurt raisins, almonds, pumpkin seeds, cinnamon cheerios and candy corn.)  It was mighty good - I loved the cinnamon cheerios in my mix.  The kids went back and refilled their cones at least two more times during the movie.  The homemade trail mix was a hit.  Give it a try.

Bon Appetit!


No comments:

Post a Comment